Our ads also go out in the email news on Thursdays, post to The Austin Alchemist Facebook fan page and go into our local calendar of events (where applicable).
Orders are processed on a first paid, first served basis during office hours. Orders received after 12pm, over the weekend or on holidays will generally be received the following regular business day (M-F) and are not likely to be seen until that time.
Even at my fastest pace, I require a minimum of 7 business days to complete your order, but I usually need at least 2 weeks lead time. More lead time is best. When there are multiple people in our community to take care of, all work must be scheduled into my queue strategically. Thank you for your consideration, because this work takes time.
During times of high order volume, bad weather or holidays, it may take me a little longer. I am one person and all work is hand done and must be scheduled. Last minute orders are fulfilled at my discretion, as possible.
It’s important to note – The Austin Alchemist is not a substitute for print marketing, where text is copied and pasted and promoted. We are digital marketers, using current SEO and social media marketing techniques and metrics. Your listing is not just text on a page, it is built and coded and our social media presence is strategically handled. We provide way more for your buck that it appears on the surface. As such, there are rules we must abide by in what we do for our community.
Guidelines for Images
- We publish all listings with an image, whether you provide us with one or not.
- All images are used at our discretion and must abide by our policies.
- Please include a picture of yourself, your building or your class, if possible. Or an image appropriate to the nature of your listing.
- Photos for directory or event listings must be square or portrait in orientation and at least 300px X 300px in size, but preferably 500px X 500px in size. Google and social media sites have specific rules as to images they will allow to be displayed, or that will display well on their platforms and searches, and we follow the same. We accept .jpg, .png and .gif files.
- We cannot accept landscape images, blurry images, images that are too small, or images with too much text. This also goes for images that contain too many parts or are composites of others images. If your image cannot be clearly displayed well for our thumbnails, they will not be used.
- We do not accept fliers or handouts, PDFs, or word files. This is clearly stated in multiple places on our site. There is a box on the form where you can include a link to your event flier, hosted on your own website. We will not host your fliers for you. Please host your fliers and such on your own site and let us funnel traffic to you. Fliers are not acceptable images for our listings.
- You must own all rights to any image you submit to us for use. Again use of any image on our site is at our discretion only.
- By submitting your image, you give us license to use your image to help promote your event and/or business.
- We will no longer accept artwork for images, unless you can confirm that you are the artist. Please remember that no matter how much you like an image, “scraping” an image from anywhere on the internet for your use is stealing.
- If you send us an image that does not meet our requirements, or that someone else owns the copyright for, we will substitute one of our concept images in its place.
- Images for banner and sidebar ads must comply with our policies and size requirements, and must be legible at both 300 x 200px (displayed on our site) and at 180 x 120px (displayed in our newsletter). Sidebar designs should not contain too much text, should be clearly legible, should use fonts that can be easily read, and the graphics used in the design must be owned by you. Remember, we are not trying to replace your website, we are trying to grab attention and funnel people to you.
- We accept new orders via our submission forms only.
- All ads must fall into the Body-Mind-Spirit, Holistic, Green, Spiritual or Metaphysical genres.
- Directory listings are optimized and listed in 1-3 related categories in our directory that you choose. However service categories such as churches, ministerial services, schools, store fronts, ongoing fairs/shows, rental facilities, wedding services and the like must have their own listings and descriptions because they must be coded and optimized very differently. I.e. Reiki and massage are complementary services and a single directory listing can easily be optimized for both categories. Whereas weddings, nutrition and psychic services cannot all be listed together in the same listing. Each listing should focus on one service field or another. This is for the health of our site and for the effectiveness of your coverage. If you’re not certain what would be best for your business situation, shoot me an email and I can help you clarify your listing’s focus.
- Event listings must entail a true physical location and attendance within the Central Texas area. We do not cover phone calls, webinars or other virtual events in our event listings and will not put them on our calendar. The only exception to this is when an event has both physical and live streaming attendance available to the audience. However, our sidebar ad space can be used to promote virtual events. If you are interested in this, please contact us directly for more details.
- Limit one event per listing. We will not accept multiple dates for an event, except in the cases of repeating workshop series (the ad must be paid for each date), or singular weekend workshops that span multiple days. Events must have clear beginning and end times and entail something a group of people can drive to and attend. If you have multiple offerings that are not related to each other, they must each have their own listing. Each listing needs a clear objective. (This is internet marketing, not a newspaper.)
- Ads are accepted or rejected based on what is best suited to our readership and what is reasonably considered acceptable. To be sure, we publish events that many consider to be “alternative.” However, this fact does not mean that we will publish just anything. Alien sky watching – sure. Sexuality classes – it depends (and it must fit the body-mind-spirit ideal somehow). Political events, animal sacrifice or classes to teach you how to use mind control on others – uh no.
- Advertisers must live or office or have an upcoming event in or around Austin. There are no exceptions to this. We only cover local events and news for the general Central Texas area from San Antonio to Austin to Temple. That includes coverage for events in the Austin area hosted by traveling teachers from elsewhere. As long as it happens in the Central Texas area and meets our guidelines, we can cover it. Anything outside this area we do not cover.
- Our weekly deadline for late event ads is noon Monday of the week prior to publishing, if you want your ad to run first thing the following week. But it is generally best to submit your order a couple weeks ahead of the publishing target date. Directory listings are always worked on as a first come, first serve basis as we can fit them in. I need time to build your ads and cannot accept last-minute submissions for inclusion in the newsletter. This is not an automated process. Please be considerate.
- Please note: Ads are built on a first paid, first served basis. While the weekly events deadline for the newsletter is on Mondays, the actual advertising week runs Sunday to Saturday each week. And while the advertising week runs Sunday – Saturday, The Austin Alchemist is not open for office hours on weekends or holidays. If you submit your event ad after noon on Friday, it will not be seen until the next business day.
- The best time to turn in your ad is at least a week or two before you actually need your ad to run. We do offer paid up-front scheduling services for listings up to 6 months in advance. This can be especially handy for busy and traveling teachers. Some of our customers like to place regular monthly recurring orders. We can do that too. If you are interested in scheduling monthly, or several ads in advance, please contact us directly to discuss your needs. We’ll be happy to tailor a solution for you.
- From other advertisers feedback: The best results come from running your event ad for at least 2 consecutive weeks before the event. Many also have good results from running several consecutive ads during the weeks before the event. Others get good results from using an event ad coupled along with a banner ad.
- Give us as much useful information as you can, written as well as you can, but not copied from your website or anywhere else from the web. We always copy-edit spelling and grammar. However, our services and pricing is based on the partnership between you and us, allowing you a chance to reduce your expenses by providing your own copy and as much detail as you can to create your listing. While we provide a service to our community, I am not a secretary and your fee does not cover my time to help you get organized. If you need full copy writing services, please contact us directly for rates.
- We need to know when – time and date, where, cost, where to go for more info – phone, website, email, and at least a couple of paragraphs describing the event. People need to know some details about what you are offering.
- Please fill out the forms completely and don’t expect me to follow a link to retrieve information.
- If you need concierge services, please contact us directly for rates.